Our customers often ask us for advice on caring for their beloved jewellery. Here are our top tips on looking after your pearls:
1. Put your pearls on last when getting ready in the morning. Pearls are a natural gem that are particularly vulnerable to chemicals found in cosmetics, lotions and make-up. It is also worth avoiding all contact with perfume.
2. Carefully wipe your pearls with a soft cloth at the end of the day. Perspiration is also damaging to pearls and can reduce the lustre. Therefore it is a good idea to gently clean them before putting them away after use.
3. Store your pearls separate to other items and lay them flat. It is important to store your pearls separate from other jewellery to minimise scratching. Necklaces are best stored lying flat rather than hanging to prevent stretching of the string. It is also worth fastening clasps to prevent them becoming tangled.
4. Check for stretching or fraying regularly. To ensure your necklace doesn’t break unexpectedly, it is a good idea to check for stretching or fraying. If you notice either then it is probably time to get them re-strung.
5. Take your pearls off before showering or swimming. It is best to avoid wearing your pearls in the swimming pool or shower as chlorine and chemicals found in shampoo are damaging. It is also best to avoid exposing them to excess heat, for example in a sauna or steam room.